Wednesday, July 15, 2009


Low Anthem - Charlie Darwin
Over the last months I've become convinced that working for a big company is a bit like working for an army.
Sure we don't kill people in a bodily sense,but if we aim to destroy other peoples job is that much different?
And we are trying to destroy their way of making a living.Because we want to ensure that our profits are coming in we have to make sure the business from other shops is coming our way (especially in lean times.)

There is a lot of talk about 'taking market share' or 'we have to win' or 'we need to kill off our opposition' etc.
And it's justified by saying that there will be some winners and some losers, but the fact that we will win will be good for us and everybody. We need to win to keep our jobs. If we don't do everything in our power the consumers are going to shop somewhere else and Joe Bloggs across the road is going to get the business while we loose our jobs.

it's us against them.

But if I'm trying to love my neighbour as myself how can I justify trying to take his work from him?
is that the way of The Kingdom?Is that what Jesus would do?

Anyway yesterday I hadn't finished explaining myself before the library computer cut me off.

I was rambling through cyberspace and stumbled across a beautiful song by The Low Anthem 'Charlie Darwin'.
You can listen to it here.

The Low Anthem

'And who could heed the words of Charlie Darwin
Fighting for a system built to fail?
Spooning water from their broken vessels
As far as I can see there is no land'

And who could heed the words of Charlie Darwin
The lords of war just profit from decay
And trade their children's promise for the jingle
The way we trade our hard earned time for pay

Oh my god, the water's cold and shapeless
Oh my god, it's all around
Oh my god, life is cold and formless
Oh my god, it's all around

That just it - how much do I have to fight for system bound to fail if the most fundamental thing I believe is that its by grace we are saved?
We're not saved by earning, we're saved by unmerited grace and favour.
Then in our companies we're told 'we have to take market share' or 'kill Woodies' or else we will loose our jobs. There is very little room for grace in consumptive work.
That's Charlie Darwin talk.
I suppose thats my main problem with my present job. I don't mind hard work, but its what the ultimate aim of that work is for. Is it to serve my neighbour and love him/her?
Or is it just to consume him and the planets resources?

No comments:

Post a Comment